Welcome to the Bay!

You are not connected. Please login or register

The War in Donbass/the Ukrainian Civil War

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

The War in Donbass/the Ukrainian Civil War Empty Knadan | 9016 Community Commissar

Knadan
So, has anyone else been following it, and if so, what are your thoughts on what's been going down?

Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:07 am

The War in Donbass/the Ukrainian Civil War Empty 001 Contrite Mediation | 9204 The Floaty Green Dude

001 Contrite Mediation
I think Russia is little butthurt after we kicked their butt in the Cold War. 'MURICA

Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:01 am

The War in Donbass/the Ukrainian Civil War Empty Mad Mike | 9023 Gwendolyn's Minion

Mad Mike
I can't say I've been following it that much recently... :/ Sweden just had an election 2 days ago so it's been dominating the news.

(the xenophobic Swedendemocrats party got 13% votes, and a huge parlamentaric advantage since none of the other parties/coalitions have a majority in the parlament. That means we will have a very weak government and in theory, the Swedendemocrats will get last say in things. But all other parties say they are willing to co-operate to ensure that the racists get no influence.)

On topic, it would be good if anyone who knows more about the Ukraine could fill me in on recent events there.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:19 am

The War in Donbass/the Ukrainian Civil War Empty Knadan | 9016 Community Commissar

Knadan
Start with telling me what you do know and then I'll give you a cliff notes version for the rest.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:56 am

The War in Donbass/the Ukrainian Civil War Empty Mad Mike | 9023 Gwendolyn's Minion

Mad Mike
Knadan wrote:Start with telling me what you do know and then I'll give you a cliff notes version for the rest.

Everything up to the part of:
"no no, we don't have troops in Ukraine! You got it all wrong" -- President Pootis

Stopped following the news after all that.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:04 pm

Knadan
Mad Mike wrote:
Knadan wrote:Start with telling me what you do know and then I'll give you a cliff notes version for the rest.

Everything up to the part of:
"no no, we don't have troops in Ukraine! You got it all wrong" -- President Pootis

Stopped following the news after all that.
Since that tells me pretty much jack diddly, I guuess I'm gonna have to start almost at the beginning.
March
The "Little Green Men" appear in Crimea, they are internationally thought to be Russian military but Russia of course denies this.
A referendum where Crimea will vote on independence from Ukraine or joining Russia (this was seriously pretty much the only options) is announced and carried within a couple of weeks. Within a week of the vote (which succeeded with nearly 97% which isn't even trying to hide the fact it was rigged if you ask me) Russia annexes Crimea. The vote is declared illegal across nearly the whole dang world, but since no one is willing to contest the issue by force except Russia, this is a moot point.
After this Putin makes the statement (in contradiction to his previous vehement denials) that of course the troops in Crimea were Russian.

April and through the summer
The regions of Donetsk and Luhansk in eastern/southeastern Ukraine are forcibly taken over by militias most likely backed by Russia and declared "People's Republic of (insert one of the above regions here)." Russia of course denies any involvment but this is hampered by the fact that at least some of the leaders of these "People's Republics" are confirmed Russians.
These regions attempt votes similar to Crimea's but they do not go over nearly as smoothly.
A number of incidents occur between the rebels and Ukrainian personnel and reporters.
Things escalated, and Donetsk and Luhansk have essentially been in a state of armed insurrection which is widely believed to be instigated and backed by Russia leading the US and the EU to put a number of sanctions on Russia, primarily Russian oligarchs.

Recently a cease-fire was signed, in addition to special legislation, but there are doubts on whether the cease fire will last and whether the legislation will stick.

Here's even more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_pro-Russian_unrest_in_Ukraine

Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:14 pm

Mad Mike

Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:55 pm

Knadan
Why do people spell Putin's name pootis? It's completely wrong...

Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:57 pm

Mad Mike
Knadan wrote:Why do people spell Putin's name pootis?  It's completely wrong...

It's a meme joke from the Team Fortress 2 community. In all of the gmod videos with the Heavy in it, he ALWAYS says the word "pootis!" The meme come's from his in game voice command "put dispenser here" which sounds like "pootis spencer here"

This is what it sounds like:

Since the Heavy is also russian and even looks a little like Putin, you will see a lot of players named "Vladimir Pootis" or such.

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:25 pm

The War in Donbass/the Ukrainian Civil War Empty Sponsored content |

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

THE BAY IS AN COMMUNITY FORUM. WE HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH BAY VIEW GAME STUDIOS.
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com